Close friend of Prabalís, Yuki James, has quite the resume when it comes to styling. Having worked for cutting edge magazines such as; Harpers Bazaar, V and The Block, Yuki has an eye to say the least. Most recently Yuki styled Prabalís CFDA Awards date Alessandra Ambrosio, giving her a glamorous modern day movie star look. The other exciting project Yuki just worked on was our music video with Rye Rye. Yuki joined the team in LA for the shoot and worked his magic. We cannot thank him enough for his dedication, vision and hard work when it came to working on this film. To learn more about Yuki read below:
1. How did you get your start?
My first big break was as Brana's Wolf's assistant at Harper's Bazaar.
2. What films / music videos were most inspiring to you when it came to styling the Prabal Gurung Resort 2012 film?
I was mainly inspired by the prints and colors in the collection but I also had a couple early Salt-n-Pepa videos playing in my head.
3. Do you have a favorite scene? Which was your favorite to style?
The floral print shirt and shorts look - it's the best mash-up of PG and Rye Rye's styles.
4. How do you balance your aesthetic with that of the artist or magazine you are working with?
I first consider what is at the core of a client, editor, or artist's aesthetic. Then I put that condensed nugget through the gears of my imagination. In the end, the product must excite everyone involved to be a success.
5. Where is your favorite place to see street style?
I am inspired by originality, even if it's in bad taste. Thus anywhere where there are free-minded people.
6. What was the most challenging styling job you have ever worked on? And what is the most exciting or outrageous thing that you have come across while on the job?
When I was an assistant at GQ we shot a ski story in St Moritz. I had to drag trunks up and down a mountain, literally. I also forgot to pack the skis, which was a problem.
7. If you weren't a stylist you would beÖ
A doggy day care staffer.
8. What are your 3 favorite places in NYC?
The Chelsea Flea Market, Marie's Crisis and my apartment.
9. Blogger or Tumblr?
10. In your opinion, what makes style so powerful?
Style on it's own is ephemeral and powerless. Combined with originality and kindness it has the power to captivate and influence.
11. Whatís your #newthing?